Saturday, August 1, 2009

Central Time Zone

















So far so good on our road trip! I must admit that I am starting to get a little sick of the car after 6days though!

Yesterday we drove into Oklahoma City. The drive was uneventful. We passed rolling hills and lots of cow farms. Oh wait... did I say uneventful? I forgot we saw the largest cross in the western hemisphere!! (See Picture) That was probably the highlight of our drive! We got into the city kind of late because we got a little bit of a late start. However, the woman at the front desk of the hotel gave us a brochure of the city and the downtown area looked cute. Since it was a Friday night we decided to check it out despite our late arrival. I am so glad we did! Oklahoma City is a lot more happening than I would have thought. Their "bricktown" area is super cute - it has a little river running through it with restaurants and shops lining it. While we were down there, a free reggae festival was going on so we walked around that for a minute. We also got a yummy dinner at an Italian place on the river. It was nice to have a "night out" since we've been couped up the car. This morning we went and saw the Oklahoma Memorial (Other picture). It was a very cool thing to see. I was only 13 when the Oklahoma City Bombing occurred so I didn't remember much but seeing the memorial and the museum was very touching and I did get emotional as I walked through the museum. I think the memorial (which is outside) was very well done. Overall, Oklahoma City really surprised me and Greg and I think we might even come back one day to see it when we have more time.

After the memorial we drove to Memphis. Again, an uneventful drive. Although we did see more forests and rivers -- Arkansas, as predicted, was kind of boring and we didn't drive through any major cities. Tonight we got into town and went for some BBQ-- it was delicious!!! And earlier today we stopped for lunch where I got sweet tea!!! Yeah- getting back to the southern food and drink that I so dearly miss and love. All too soon, I won't have to miss it so much as it will be apart of my life.

Over the last two days Greg and I have been listening to a book on tape about a guy who climbed Mount Everest. It was pretty interesting and made the drive go by pretty quickly so that's good. Toward the end of today though I definitely started to get delirious. I think Greg was too considering he almost killed us twice with his driving! Thank goodness our final destination is only a few days away! Tomorrow we will be visiting Graceland and then its off to Greg's aunt's house for a family visit.

I don't believe this journey has tested our relationship as much as I thought it might. As a matter of fact we are doing really well... and haven't really gotten on each other's nerves too much. We have fallen into our prescribed roles as Greg as the pilot and me as the navigator - we discovered rather quickly that I am much better and reading maps, finding hotels and figuring how to get from point A to point B - and Greg is much better and navigating all the crazy amounts of construction we have encountered on the roadways. Our little arrangement has worked out quite well and our teamwork has paid off up to this point as we have arrived to our destinations pretty much on schedule and under budget!!! Woo hoo!!!

This trip has warped our sense of time. We often find ourselves asking each other what day it is? What time is it? What time zone are we in? Even -- what state are we in? I seriously have lost concept of time.... sometimes its like the corolla is like our own little world and we are out of touch with realty. Then I get a flash of anxiety about what our new life will be like in Raleigh: will we like it? are we making the right move? God, please, let us find jobs!! Then I push those thought temporarily aside, look over at my new husband and smile - I think to myself: we will create our own destiny. I then focus on the moment at hand so I can enjoy the adventure we are currently undertaking.

According to the weather channel, over the next few days we will probably be encountering the first major rain of our trip. So keep your fingers crossed that we don't get too bogged down!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

PS - The fish is still kicking :)

1 comment:

  1. I think this trip will show you how much you and Greg enjoy each other. Remind you that you married the right guy.
    You guys will do just fine in Raleigh. I mean, look at all the things you've done and places you've gone in the past 10 years. You've really stepped outside your box in a way that none of us would ever do and you've been really successful. And I've heard people love Raliegh!

    ReplyDelete