Friday, December 11, 2009

California Dreamin'....

Lately, I've been homesick for Cali. Could it be the freaking 30 degree weather we are having???!!!??? It's funny.... when I first moved to San Diego, I really didn't like it there either. I thought everything looked brown.. and everything was so crowded... lots of traffic, etc. Of course, after being there for 5 years, I grew to enjoy it and of course, now that I've left, I can truly appreciate what we had out there. I miss the warmth, the ocean being 10 minutes away. I miss the convenience of a bigger city -- of having everything very close. I really miss the action. I miss the diversity and I miss the liberal thinking. I miss the children's pool and the bay. I miss the gaslamp quarter. And now I miss the traditions we used to do there every Christmas...

My mother and my mother-in-law are coming for Christmas. I've been trying painstakingly hard to figure out things for us to do while they are here and I've come up with very little. Sad. I knew moving here wasn't going to be like San Diego but one appeal was that I thought Raleigh had enough to do without big city drama. Um... come to find out... there really isn't a whole lot to do here. This fact bums me out. I realize they are coming to visit us, not the town in which we live. But one advantage of moving to a new place is being able to show off your new town. I hope when they arrive, its not one big bore-fest.

I don't miss the high cost of living, the traffic, the crowds, the lack of greenery. But I'm not really falling in love with anything here. I know I need to give it time... but I guess now I'm wondering if one day I'll grow to love Raleigh as much as I love SD? If not.. what do we do then?

2 comments:

  1. I really think people talk more highly of Raleigh than it deserves. I was expecting it to be more like Charlotte, and it just wasn't. But in Raleigh you're pretty close to Durham and Chapel Hill, right? Maybe you can take them there? There's some good shopping at least. If Raleigh doesn't work out for you in the end, that's okay. You just need to feel it out a bit. The nice thing about the east coast is there are some really great places around that you can live. North Carolina has some really beautiful cities in it. Best to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. California and Arizona have some really great cities in it too! :)

    ReplyDelete